- Engineering seismology
- Earthquake engineering
- Seismic resistant design of new and/or repair and strengthening of existing or earthquake damaged structures, facilities, lifelines and utility systems
- Seismically safe development planning, physical (spatial) planning at national level and master urban planning at city/town levels, as well as site specific studies for detailed urban planning and capital investment facilities
- Dynamic safety of mechanical, electrical and other technological elements, components and systems
- Earthquake related disaster prevention, mitigation and preparedness planning
- Management of emergencies, and
- Related and/or complementary fields.
Assistance [to Governments] in mitigating the earthquake consequences and post-disaster recovery:
- Post disaster needs assessment, damage surveys, assessment of physical, functional and economic losses
- Assessment of social effects of disasters, effective planning of measures and mechanisms for economic revitalizations and compensation to victims.
- Planning of all-level immediate-, short-, medium- and long term measures and activities for disaster response, recovery, re-development and seismic protection of disaster struck regions.
Development and improvement of technical regulations, standards and codes, i.e., leading participation, performance and contribution in elaboration of:
- Seismic zonings and seismic microzoning studies including elaboration of siting documentation for large capital investment projects (NPP’s, thermal plants, large dams, bridges, technological compounds, etc.)
- Development and adoption of Seismic Design Codes, Codes for Repair and Strengthening of Earthquake Damaged Buildings and related standards
- Assistance to construction industry in seismically safe design, construction, revision and inspection of capital investments.
Laboratory and field testing
- Development of experimental methods and techniques for investigating the behavior of structures exposed to earthquakes, explosions, wind and other static and dynamic loads.
- Field and laboratory experimental testing of structural elements, subassemblies, assemblages, joints, full-scale and scaled model structures and full-scale structures
Seismic monitoring and disaster forecasting
- Strong motion network
- Special Site Monitoring – 3D Strong Motion Array
- Large scale qualitative and quantitative vulnerability, damage and loss assessments for defining preparedness and emergency response needs.
Promotion of a risk prevention culture, general public and community awareness and participation; publishing.