European Center for Vulnerability of Industrial and Lifeline Systems (ECILS), Institute of Earthquake Engineering and Engineering Seismology, “Ss. Cyril and Methodius” University, Skopje, Republic of Macedonia
Based on the Resolution (Act 02-211/1 of 04/02/1997) of the Council of the Institute of Earthquake Engineering and Engineering Seismology (IZIIS), “Ss. Cyril and Methodius” University, Skopje, Republic of Macedonia and with the support of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Government of the Republic of Macedonia and the Ministry of Science (presently Education and Science), Government of the Republic of Macedonia (Act 1220-469/2 of 28/01/1997), the European Center for Vulnerability of Industrial and Lifeline Systems (ECILS) was founded in March 1997 (Act 21-891/1 of 06/03/1997).
By a resolution passed by the Permanent Correspondents of member States of the EUR-OPA Major Hazard Agreement, (May 23 – 24, 1997, Potenza, Italy) ECILS was included in the network of specialized European and Euro-Mediterranean Centers established under the Council of Europe’s Open Partial Agreement (OPA) on the Prevention of, Protection Against and Organization of Relief in Major Natural and Technological Disasters (http://www.coe.int/T/E/Cultural_Co-operation/Disasters/). ECILS is a non-profitable organization with a seat in the IZIIS’ premises in Skopje.
- Promotion of programs for theoretical and applied research of urban vulnerability associated with physical (sanitary: water, waste water and solid waste disposal; power: electric power, natural gas and liquid fuel; transportation: highway and railway; and information and communication), social (health care, education) lifelines and industrial systems;
- Strengthening of the cooperation between local and national authorities, industry and research institutions for rational planning of measures for reduction of natural hazards’ consequences caused by physical damage or functional interruption of physical and social lifelines and industrial systems;
- Improvement and further development of experimental research facilities, strong motion instrumentation and monitoring of physical lifeline and industrial systems, especially those located in seismically active regions;
- Promotion of international cooperation through organization of joint research projects, conferences, symposia, workshops and seminars in the field of vulnerability of lifelines and industrial systems;
- Increase of public awareness on problems related to vulnerability of lifelines and industrial systems, mitigation policies and measures; and,
- Dissemination of relevant information.
The ECILS’ mandate is in agreement with the IZIIS’ research and development policy as well as it is in perfect conformity with the main objectives of the EUR-OPA Major Hazards Agreement:
- Reinforcement and promotion of cooperation between EUR-OPA Member States in a multi-disciplinary context to ensure better prevention, protection and organization of relief in the event of major natural or technological disasters by calling upon present day resources and knowledge to ensure an efficient and interdependent management of major disasters; and,
- Use of the Agreement as a suitable platform for cooperation between Eastern Europe, the South of the Mediterranean and Western Europe in the field of major natural and technological disasters.